Sunday, July 22, 2012

26 weeks! A 2 week catch up blog!

I decided not to do a blog last week because honestly I didn't have a whole lot of exciting things to report besides my weekly picture, and I didn't want to bore you.  So now I get to catch up on 2 weeks in my life of my pregnancy!  Two weeks ago began my 24th week of pregnancy and that is when I began to feel and see a lot more action inside and outside my belly.  The girls are kicking like crazy!!  Sometimes they seem to be awake at the same time which is a little overwhelming for my belly with all the kicking and moving, and sometimes just A is awake and moving and sometimes just B is awake.  And then there are other times when one is awake for a bit and will wake up the other one.  How can I tell which is which?  Well, Baby A is very low down in my belly and further back so when she moves or kicks is isn't as strong and it is much lower on my abdomen.  Baby B is laying horizontal across my belly button and feels like she is going to push through the surface of my skin at any moment.  When they move it is so reassuring to me to know that everything is ok.

So during week 24 I did get somethings accomplished on my list of, "things to do before the babies arrive!"  Those things included meeting with our first of 4 pediatrician interviews, in order to find a doctor we love for the girls.  The first pediatrician came highly recommended from our current OB.  Her office is directly across the hall in the hospital from his.  She was a very nice woman originally from Egypt, but I have to admit I totally judged her based upon her looks when we first met.  Because honestly... she looked like mother Teresa.  She had this strange knit cap/beanie thing over her hair and this very oversized men's button down shirt on.  It was weird.  And her accent was quite strong and I found myself at times having a very hard time understanding her.  But......she really seems to know her stuff and really seems to love children and works with lots of sets of multiples.  She was very knowledgeable and her voice was very calming.  Now, I never met mother Teresa, but I imagine this is how she would have made you feel after talking to her, very calm and assured.  Justin and I left the office and both admitted that we pre-judged her based upon looks, but overall she seems like a kind, caring, knowledgeable doctor.  Are we going to pick her?  If I'm totally honest....probably not, but she isn't totally out of the running.

Also completed on my list I mentioned above was a meeting with our insurance guy to discuss life insurance.  And since I know NOTHING about life insurance I thought it would be good for Justin and I to get informed and think about our options.  The meeting was very informative and I now understand how it all works and what our options are.  We haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, but at least we know what we need to do when we decide.  So at least we are half way there.

During this week I also enjoyed 2 great meals with friends including my corner girls lunch on Monday, which has turned into a 3 hour affair that I love!  And a dinner with some close girl friends  on Thursday at this cute little Mexican place.  It is just so nice to get out of the house to see friends and catch up.  Because honestly I spent most of my 24th week tired and exhausted at home.

Saturday the 14th, Justin and I took a 4 hour infant care class.  The class included teaching about how to bathe a baby properly, diapering, feeding, CPR, what they do to the baby in the hospital after it is born and some other bits of information.  Was the class informative?  Well, you know I am a detailed perfectionist, so in my opinion it wasn't that great.  Why?  Well the nurse instructor was an idiot.  I'm sorry, but the first sentences out of her mouth were that she hadn't been around babies in years because her youngest child was 11 years old.  I mean why would you say that and why are you teaching this class then??  And every question anyone asked, she didn't know the answer and just had this blank stare/smile on her face.  Oh, and that's another thing, 4 out of the 6 couples in the class seemed CLUELESS as well and asked the stupidest questions that anyone could answer!!  ANYONE!!  Even someone with no baby experience could answer!!  One stupid guy even asked 2 questions and answered the question himself before he had even finished asking the questions!!  So needless to say the stupidity in this room was running rampant!  I mean... have none of these couples picked up a book or gotten online or asked friends anything about pregnancy or babies!!??  What did I get out of the class you ask?  Well, I realized that Justin and I are WAY more prepared and informed than most out there, so that gave me a sense of peace.  We also thought the CPR portion was informative.  I am not trying to toot my own horn, but I think the 2 of us could have taught the class better.

Sunday the 15th marked the start of my 25th week of pregnancy.  I spent the day working on things in the nursery and running errands.  Monday I got to have another wonderful pregnancy massage with Gary.  Is Gary as good as the lady in Colorado?  Sorry to say, but no he isn't.  But it still felt amazing and really seems to help my lower back, hips, legs and feet.  After the massage I also went for my weekly chiropractor adjustment which also is really helping the pain in my heels and my back.

Tuesday of the past week I interviewed the second pediatrician on our list of recommendations.  She is also middle eastern, but her accent is only slight, so she is very easy to understand.  Justin couldn't go on this interview, so I was on my own to form an opinion.  This doctor was younger than the first, and much more spunky, happy, laughing and overall just seemed to have more energy.  I loved her views and opinions on things and she also seemed very knowledgeable and works with many sets of twins and triplets.  So based on these 2 so far I like her the best.  2 down, 2 to go before we make a decision.

Wednesday we had our 2 week doctor appointment and ultrasound.  When I got there I was informed that I would be doing my glucose tolerance test this time in order to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes.  They gave me this super sweet fruit punch flavored drink (which tasted like hawaiian punch with too much sugar).  I drank it in a few gulps and I was told I would have my blood drawn 1 hour from that time.  In the meantime we began the ultrasound with another new tech.   I told her right away that I couldn't lay flat on my back because I would either pass out or throw up.  She said that was fine and I switched back and forth from side to side throughout the ultrasound.  This checkup we were due for a growth report on the babies, so the ultrasound takes longer because they have to do all of the measurements several times to get an average and then multiply that times 2.  I felt like she was pushing really hard on my belly with the ultrasound thingy and I knew I was going to be sore tomorrow.  More on that later...  She also checked their heartbeats and said they look great and strong.  And I was shocked at how big the babies are measuring.....Baby A is weighing 1 lb 13 oz, and Baby B is weighing 1 lb 15 oz, so they are both right under 2 lbs.  That means they have both gained 14 oz or about a pound in a month!  WOW, they are growing fast! The ultrasound tech also said that both of their thigh bones are measuring in the 80th percentile for length, so it looks like we are going to have 2 tall supermodels on our hands!! Ha ha!

On to the doctor portion of the appointment.  He said everything looks great and couldn't be any better!!  Well that is except for the fact that I only gained 1 lb in 2 weeks, for a total weight gain of 12 lbs.  Again, though he said he can't complain too much because the babies are big and healthy, but he just wishes I could gain more.  We again discussed my aversion to most foods and just not being hungry, and still having slight nausea some evenings.  The nurse then came in and took my blood for the glucose testing, and also tested for some other things like Iron levels as well.  Justin held my hand and I didn't waiver or even cry.  Guess I am getting braver at this needle stuff after all.  I then asked the doctor about my joint pain in my fingers which seems to be getting worse.  It is very hard to make a fist and grabbing things and writing is a little difficult.  He said it was common for women to get carpal tunnel when pregnant.  Great! He said we would keep an eye on it and if it continues to get worse he will give me little wrap braces to wear on my arms.  Ummm, I don't know about that, but we will see if the pain gets worse.   People already stare at pregnant women like me as it is, so I'm not sure I need another reason for them staring at me.  I also told him about my back pain which he said is also quite normal and to continue with the massages and chiropractor adjustments.  (I forgot to mention my chiropractor also mentioned these belly wrap things that help with lower back support, which I think I am going to get).  I also expressed my concern to him again about being scared to deliver these babies either vaginally or c-section, but my biggest fear was having both, which is referred to as a double whammy.  He reassured me that he doesn't believe that both are necessary in most cases and has a very low rate of having to perform both.  After our discussion and some other things he said I think I am totally leaning towards a c-section and he said he is ok with whatever decision I make.  The last thing he did was had me lean back like usual to feel my belly and measure it.  And I think I have mentioned before he pokes really hard on the lower outer sides of my belly and it hurts because it is very tender there.  Then he measured my belly and it is measuring..........34cm!!  yes, that's right I am measuring at the belly of a 34 week woman having 1 baby!  Wow, crazy!!

Thursday was tough because I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach a bunch of times.  It was super sore and hurt to move around a lot.  I am sure it was a combination of the doctor poking and the ultrasound.  But I was super excited because the nursery furniture got delivered!!  Yay!!  It looks amazing, except for the fact that one of the cribs has a defective screw housing, that I am now working on getting fixed next week by the manufactors service tech.  I sat in the room for quite awhile after it was delivered just staring at it, because it made things feel even more real.  I'm so excited to start the decorating in there!

Friday my belly was still pretty sore, so I didn't do much, but I did walk in the nursery about 50 times because it actually looks like a nursery now with the cribs in it!  Crazy!  Can't believe it!  Yesterday, Justin and I ran some more errands for house and baby things to cross off our list and then last night we had our maternity photo shoot.  I was really nervous at first (not sure why), that's just how I am.  We actually had the same photographer who did our wedding do the shoot.  She will also do all of our newborn and first year pictures.  I had forgotten how amazing she is and what a fun, kind, vibrant personality she has until she walked in the door last night.  And right away my nerves went away, and for 2 hours around our house and at the park down the street she took the most amazing pictures!  I am just so excited to capture this time in our lives and I can't wait to see the pictures because I know they will be amazing!  I will definitely share once we get them from her.

Oh and I got my blood test results back on Friday afternoon and I DON"T have diabetes!!  Yay!!  My level was 132 which is completely in the normal range.  She said my iron levels were slightly low and that is normal for twin pregnancies, but not low enough yet that I need to do anything.  She said in probably a month I will start taking iron supplements.  Add another pill to the mix! (I already take 8 pills a day)

Whew......and that brings me to today which is the beginning of my 26th week of pregnancy.  Can you believe the babies could be here in as few as 10 weeks??  Wow, time is flying when I say that out loud.

I have lots of pictures to share this week.  Enjoy!

Last week's belly photo.  Babies are the size of cauliflowers

Another shot of my big ol' belly

A close shot of Baby A's face

Profile of Baby A

Another profile of Baby A

Baby B is much harder to get pictures of because she moves so much, but here is an alien shot of her face.

Yay, the cribs and gliders are here!  Let the decorating begin!

A shot of the gray glider.  The other glider will go in our living room.

I have to include an adorable pic of my handsome hubby and my furry babies posing.  And no I didn't pose them like this or even use dog treats!

Babies are the size of heads of lettuce weighing just under 2 lbs each

Wow, it looks bigger just compared to a week ago!
  
How far along?  26 weeks today
Total weight gain/loss:  12lbs gained, all belly thank goodness!
Maternity clothes:  Yes, and I am learning you have to buy all new clothes for the third trimester, ugh!
Stretch marks?  Nope, so far smooth sailing!
Sleep:  I have had 2 good nights in a row, but other nights this past week I tossed and turned all night because my back hurt
Best moment this week:  The nursery furniture arriving!
Miss Anything?  Moving faster.  I feel like I walk slower, move slower, and I miss my body not aching
Movement:  Crazy movement!  Loving it!
Food cravings?  Ugh, still nothing crazy!
Anything making you queasy or sick:   Yes, still lots of things
Labor Signs:  Nope!  Please hold off for 10 more weeks!
 
Belly Button in or out?  Totally out and proud
Wedding rings on or off?  Fake one is on
Happy or Moody most of the time:   I would say happy!  Hoping people around me would say the same
Weekly Wisdom:   I am more knowledgable than I give myself credit for, and I shouldn't doubt my ability so much that I won't know what to do when the babies get here.
Looking forward to:   My mom coming in town on Friday and my first of 2 baby showers on Saturday!  Yay!  

Much love
Jenny & Justin +5




1 comment:

  1. I had the carpal tunnel too - unfortunately mine didn't go away as they predicted. Praying yours does!

    The wrist wraps helped me some - I dropped lots of things - it was time to get non-breakable dishes...

    ReplyDelete