Sunday, October 28, 2012

Today is my due date!

And man am I glad I didn't have to carry the girls to this point because I'm pretty sure I would have been bed ridden long ago! The good thing is it means the girls are now term and growing like crazy! It makes me a little sad to say they are growing so fast, but it also means they are strong and healthy so that's good!

So what has happened since I last blogged about 8 days ago? Well, our routine is more established now and we are still on an endless 3 hour changing/feeding/pumping schedule. I am learning how to manage the girls better on my own when Justin is at work during the day, but I won't say that it is easy. It can get a little monotonous at times, but then I look at their little faces and it is all worth it. Sleep is super valuable at this point and I try to sleep when the girls are sleeping in between the 3 hour cycles, but it's harder than you think because I'm always thinking of something I could be doing. We have just started in the last 2 nights trying to stretch the night feedings to 4 hours so we can get better chunks of sleep and so far the girls have done great and actually slept from 9-1am, then from 1:30am-5am, and then again from 5:30am-8:45am. Not bad for 3.5 weeks old! I've learned the best thing you can do for your baby is let them sleep as much as possible and a strict schedule gets them to sleep longer and better. We have also started feeding them more which I think helps fill their bellies longer, which in turn makes them sleep longer. We are doing breast milk during the day and then formula at night because 1. I'm not making enough to supply them with all their needs, and 2. formula at night time seems to make them fuller and sleep better. I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep pumping milk because it is super stressful and with 2 babies there almost isn't enough time in the day with the 3hr schedule, but I'm ok with formula if that is what we decide to do exclusively. I'm gonna play it day by day at this point and see how I'm feeling emotionally.

Getting out of the house is a rare treat, even if it is just to run to target or the drycleaner or even the ATM for 30 minutes is exciting now in my world! (No more 4 hour mall excursions for this girl) I did try to go get a manicure last Saturday while Justin was home with the girls and it turned into a huge disaster! I called and made an appointment, knowing I only had I hour to do it. Well the stupid lady didn't honor my appointment and I ended up sitting at her table for 45 minutes just prepped for the manicure, not actually having gotten anything done and finally I just lost it. I stood up walked over to the other manicurist and started crying and said, "I only had 1 hour to get a manicure and now I've been sitting here for 45 minutes and still no manicure." So I'm standing in front of a FULL nail salon of people, crying and yelling at another nail tech, and then I just walked out. Never in my life did I think I would be crying about such a thing in front of a ton of strangers, but yes there I was, walking out crying, with ugly non-manicured nails driving home. Yes, Justin does think I have lost my mind a little! And speaking of crying......I cry at everything! I was eating dinner just last night and started to ball just staring at the TV for no apparent reason at all. Justin just looks at me helpless and hugs me. And it's not like I am upset or anything, it is just sometimes things feel overwhelming (like at the nail salon), and my only reaction is to cry and then I feel much better after 5 minutes and I move on. Crazy, crazy hormones! Will I ever be normal again? I'm sure Justin is wondering if he will ever have his sane wife back again.

Enough about the crying, lets talk happy baby things! Like mustard poop! Wow, if you haven't had a baby you have NO idea about mustard poop! It is scary! And projectile milk spit up! That's another one that takes some getting used to. But the girls are beautiful and amazing and don't ever really cry unless they are hungry and I can't get enough of their sweet little faces and legs and arms and gassy smiles!!

We visited the pediatrician again last Wednesday for the girls 3 week check up and everything looks great and the girls have grown quite a bit. The nurse and doctor were very impressed! Georgia is 7lbs 4oz 21inches and Frankie is 6lbs 11oz 20.5 inches. The doctor also scheduled the hip ultrasound for the girls for 2 weeks from then which I think I already mentioned is just a precautionary thing they do with twins. Other than that's just asked lots of questions like when can the girls go out in public (minimum 6 weeks), and is projectile spit up normal (yes).

And on Tuesday last week we had our second newborn photoshoot with our photographer Brandi. It was a 3 hour ordeal and the girls were amazing and slept through 95% of it which Brandi said never happens, so she was able to get some amazing pictures! We can't wait to see them and share them with you!

Frankie and Georgia and I continue to have lots of visitors including Justin's parents and sister once a week and my friends stop by and bring me lunch a couple days a week which is really nice! Just having adult conversations is really nice when you are talking to babies all day long.

Other than all that I have mentioned, I am most of all just really happy to be caring for Frankie and Georgia everyday! I feel very lucky to have been given the honor to be their mom! Yes, this job is hard with 2 babies, but I now know I am totally capable of handling it and I'm getting more confident in my abilities to care for them daily. Justin continues to be an amazing dad and is totally hands on with changing diapers, feeding, rocking, and just loving on them. It's amazing to watch!

Well I think that's all for now. Yes, I should be napping, but I just couldn't resist a little catch up blog!

Here are some fun pictures below:

No comments:

Post a Comment