Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I am 31 weeks pregnant and.......


The party in my belly is a rocking!!  The babies activity level seems to have increased and they are moving and kicking harder and more often.  Most times it doesn't bother me except for when one of them moves or kicks so hard it feels and looks like a body part is going to pop out of the front of my belly!!  And most of the time the movement isn't painful, but there are also those certain movements that just hurt.  

I have also been noticing tightening in my belly more frequently throughout the day.  It seems to be happening about 5 times a day on average over the last 6 days but nothing close together or painful.  

Oh, and holy swelling!! The last couple days my feet and hands are super swollen!  They feel somewhat arthritic as well which is just annoying.  My belly also feels bigger the last couple days and I'm finding it even harder to get up if I am sitting down.  The only way I can describe it is if you aged from 30-80 in a month!  But I know it is all part of the process and these things will subside, so I'm dealing.  

Thought you would like to see a picture of my left kankle!! It is the worse of the two.  Gross!!


On Friday I took 2 of our dogs, Annie and Pickles, in for some routine shots and checkups.  The vet checked a little lump on Annie and said it was cancer and it needed to be removed and tested right away.  Well, I lost it!  Annie is my baby girl and the first dog I got on my own when I lived in San Diego.  I still remember the day I adopted her so clear like it was yesterday.  She is a child to me and so I was devastated.  The vet insisted we schedule surgery right away to remove it and have it tested.  The scary thing is the vet reminded me that Annie has a pretty severe heart murmur so putting her under anesthesia is risky because her risk for heart complications during surgery is much higher, which means she could die on the table.  So, I was torn about what to do, but decided we should do the surgery because I want her around as long as possible and I know she is a fighter.  But that still didn't help my emotional state, I was still a mess.  Justin has also grown very close to Annie so he was pretty upset when I told him.  

Justin and I spent the weekend just hanging out at home most of the time, spending time loving on Annie.  I did go to a friends baby shower for a couple hours on Sunday which was fun, but other than that it was all about loving on her.  Monday morning Justin and I drove Annie to the vet and as soon as I got out of the car carrying Annie, I went into the hysterical ugly cry.  We walked into the vet and the nurse tech Anita, immediately said I was going to make her cry and I just couldn't stop crying!  The vet came out and I continued to cry and couldn't speak.  The vet, who is as pregnant as I am, joked and said "no pressure on me this morning, but I'll just chock some of this up to your pregnancy hormones.". And I knew she was right somewhat, but I couldn't respond because I was crying so hard.  We said our goodbyes to Annie and told her to be strong.  The vet said she would do her surgery first and call me right away.  

And I went home and cried some more, and wait for what seemed like the longest hour ever!!  The vet called 1 hour later and said Annie had made it through surgery like a champ.  Big deep breath!!!!!  But, she said we needed several more hours to get the anesthesia out of her system to be in the clear.  In the meantime, I went to lunch that day with some girlfriends from my previous job to get my mind off of things and it really helped make me feel better.  So thanks girls!!  Also my friend Jessica made me these beautiful burp cloths and taggy, soft blankets for the babies which are so awesome!  After lunch I called the vet and they said Annie was doing great and we could pick her up around 4pm. Yay!!!! Another big deep breath.

I headed to the chiropractor with Justin at 3pm and then we headed straight to the vet to get our baby girl.  She was pretty out of it when we arrived, and I wasn't prepared for how big of an incision she was going to have! Wow, 14 staples and a 6inch incision is huge on a 10lb dog!  
Ouch!!  Poor girl!!

We took her home and she cried and whimpered most of the evening which broke my heart.  I think it was the meds wearing off, but whatever it was it made me feel guilty and sad.  Anyway, we carried her around all evening and snuggled with her on the couch and in bed.  She was a little restless, so I didn't sleep Monday night.  I was too worried about her.  Yesterday, Tuesday was better and her pain meds seem to be working, and she is starting to seem like Annie again, so I am relieved for that.  I am just staying at home all week to take care of her and make sure she is healing and ok.  Whew, what a traumatic couple days for me, and her!  

Today is now Wednesday and I had another sleepless night watching Annie.  I wasn't sure what was wrong, but she wouldn't lay down and she just kept staring at me and Justin all night.  Then she started panting somewhere around 3am.  Oh, I guess I should say up to 3am, we had already let her outside, offered her food, water and treats, petted her, basically tried everything to get her to relax.  This morning about 7am I tried moving to the couch with her and she laid down for about an hour and then started panting again.  So, I called the vet and they had me bring her up just to make sure she was ok.  And....everything checked out fine.  The vet said she is just in some pain and is going to be for a couple of days.  

Justin and I talked this morning and we think Annie is just trying to prepare us for what is coming very soon!!  No sleep!  Well, it's working, cause I am exhausted!  Ha ha!  It does make me realize though that I am capable of getting up every hour and functioning to take care of something that I care about and that needs me.  I just always assumed with how heavy of a sleeper I am that I would just sleep right through everything.  

Well, I think that is all for now.  We head to the doctor again Friday for our weekly appointment.  Until then here is my weekly photo:





How far along?  31 weeks 3 days as of Wednesday the 29th
Total weight gain/loss:  +20lbs as of last Dr visit
Maternity clothes?  Yep, and growing out of them quickly (they are just getting too short)
Stretch marks?  Nope, thank goodness!!
Sleep:  Not this week.  I am still pretty sore and uncomfortable along with the Annie situation doesn't equal sleep.
Best moment this week:  Annie making it though surgery!
Miss Anything?  High heels, Moving faster
Movement:  Oh heck yea!  The babies think I am a punching bag!
Food cravings?  Tombstone pepperoni pizza has been my go to this last week or two
Anything making you queasy or sick:  Food commercials, the discussion of food  
Labor Signs: Yes, some tightening in my belly on average 5 times a day for the last several days; no pain or anything close together to be worried about
Belly Button in or out? I have no belly button left, it is just this nubbin that sticks out of the end of this huge belly.
Wedding rings on or off?  No rings or bracelets or watches, everything feels constricting because I am swollen
Happy or Moody most of the time:  Cried a lot this last week, due to well......everything and anything
Weekly Wisdom:  The universe will try and prepare you for what is next in life whether you want it to or not.  And....sometimes crying just feels really good and honestly you have NO idea why you are crying! Ha!
Looking forward to:  The long holiday weekend with my husband and furry kids relaxing, Annie getting better, SLEEPING, and wearing scarfs and boots (meaning I'm looking forward to cooler weather).

Love to all!!
Jenny & Justin +5

No comments:

Post a Comment