Saturday, November 12, 2011

Moving forward with short term goals

Moving forward is great! We are happy and excited!

We got up very early for a Saturday morning to be at the doctors office by 830pm.  The clinic is about 45 minutes to an hour from our house, so we had to leave by 730am, and we had to do morning injections at 7am, so I am destined NOT to sleep in for awhile.  

Anyway, we got GOOD news!  Dressed once again in my paper towel skirt the doctor did the ultrasound and we discovered that I have 2 good sized follicles on the left side.   The 3rd one we saw on Thursday on the left side has disappeared, and the doctor said there might be 2 small ones on the right side that still could have potential.  He also said there is still time for more to pop up, and no matter what when they go in for the retrieval they will go after anything and everything, just to be certain they get all the eggs.  He also said my uterine lining looks perfect! Perfect? Yes, that's what he said! So I'll take a compliment, even if it's about my uterus! Ha ha!  Just for reference, 2 follicles is a pretty low number to have, I think 6-10 is an ideal number.  More than 10 is not good either.  But 2 is more than zero!!  So I am going with that positive outlook! Some is better than none.

My Estradiol level blood test came back from Thursday and it was at 150!!!! Yay, that is great news too!  The doctor said he expects it to be over 300 with the blood test I did today.  Yep, that's right, another blood draw today, and another vial of my precious blood donated.

So what is the plan you ask? Well, I will do 2.5 more days of stimulating drugs.  The doctor has reduced the amount of Follistim back to 150iu for the remainder of those injections, but the other 2 drugs will stay the same. So Monday evening will be my last 2 injections of the stimulating hormones. Yay!!  But there are more to come.  (Yes, there are more new drugs to inject as we get to the next steps in the process, ugh!)  I will go in Monday at 10:00am for another monitoring appt, and the doctor is 90% sure I will trigger that day and most likely do the retrieval on Wednesday.  What is trigger? Well I will have to go get a shot of a hormone called HSG and inject in at the precise moment they tell me to on Monday.  That trigger will send my body into ovulation mode.  Then exactly 36 hours later (Wednesday morning) they will retrieve the eggs during an outpatient procedure.  I will be put under sedation for that.  At the same time they are retrieving the eggs, Justin will make a "donation".  Then as long as they get at least 1 good egg they will insert the sperm into the egg/eggs right away.

The doctor doesn't seem to want to talk about things that are more than 1 step ahead of where we are now.  I guess it's good because you just focus on the next step, and not what "might or might not" happen 2-3 steps from now.  Meaning, he didn't want to discuss embryo transfer, or fertilization.  His immediate thoughts are when to trigger and retrieval.  So I guess that is what we will focus on as well.  Short term goals.

The doctor has also put me on an antibiotic to fend off infection before retrieval and because I have a horrible head cold right now.  

We are very excited to be moving forward!! I am trying to send positive messages to these 2 large follicles, to be strong and perfect! Twins, twins, twins! Ha ha!

Jenny
Blood draws 10 vials 29
Injections 36

No comments:

Post a Comment