Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Here we go......I think!

Well, we are somewhat officially on the roller coaster again.  I say that because today is cycle Day 2 and we have started a new drug protocol, which requires me to start taking the new drug, Lupron on Day 2.  So I got on the horse this morning and got my first injection.  It wasn't too bad except for afterwards it stayed hard in the spot where Justin injected it for like 20 minutes which was a new experience and weird feeling.  Anyway, we will head to the doctor tomorrow morning at 9am for our first monitoring appt to see what is going on inside my ovaries, with the hope that there are lots of follicles that we can work with and make them grow bigger.  I will do 2 morning injections tomorrow, one of the new drug, Lupron and one of the drug we have done before, Follistim.  I will also have to do blood work at the doctors office, ugh!

If for some reason he doesn't see any follicles or not enough follicles then we might not continue, so that is why I said we somewhat officially started this round.  But if we get the green light tomorrow and have lots of follicles, I will be so happy!  As I mentioned my doctor decided to switch up one of the drugs in my protocol to Lupron.  Apparently what Lupron does is shut down your LH and FSH hormones, so that they can chemically control them with the other 2 drugs, Follistim and Menopur (which is added into the mix around cycle day 5).  We were using Ganirelix in our last protocol, and I am not sure what the difference is except that the Lupron you start taking very early in the cycle and the Ganirelix you take like starting on cycle Day 8.  I can say I do like the needle much better that we use for the Lupron.  It is much smaller and goes in easier.  The Ganirelix needle was so hard to push in my stomach.  Ok, yuck I just made myself nauseous with the image of that! Sorry!  I also don't know the reason why my doctor changed the protocol, so I will ask tomorrow.  But I am assuming the reason is that well, it didn't work great last time (because we only had 2 follicles, 1 embryo), so why not try something different.  Remember people this is an art form, NOT science!  Ha!

Ok, so I am thinking positive thoughts and lots and lots of follicles!!!  Please do the same!  Much appreciated!

Jenny

1 comment: