Monday, January 30, 2012

I like good news!

Who doesn't right? Well we went to the doctor this morning and that's exactly what we got. The doctor did the ultrasound and saw 7 follicles!! Yep that's right, 7!!!!!! 3 on the right ovary, 2 which are decent size and 4 on the left side, 2 which are also decent size. The doctor was very encouraged as were we! He said that my theory with the trigger meds in December might be the key to all this success we are seeing this cycle because it would have taken those meds in December this long to trigger new follicles. So I guess there was a good reason why we were pushed back to this cycle! He said he would call it the Naber theory and was considering using it on 2 other patients who have my same issues. So yay for speaking up and having input on my own health issues!

He said seeing this many follicles at this stage for me could also be attributed to the new meds. It's hard to say what is causing the success so far, but I am just thankful for whatever it is!

So what's the plan? I will continue on the same meds until Wednesday morning when I go back in for another monitoring appt. If things are looking good we will be looking at harvesting the eggs sometime between Friday and Sunday. Then we have a big decision to make.

The doctor discussed with us today the thought of freezing our eggs that we harvest this month and then waiting 2 cycles to put them back in. Why would he want to do this? Well studies have shown that women who have low egg reserves like myself have higher pregnancy rates if all the egg stimulating drugs are out of their system before putting the embryos back in. The issue is this. If we get 3 or fewer good eggs, the freezing and thawing process has the potential to destroy some of these, which would leave us back where we were last round, with the possibility of having 3, 1, or none. So do we take the risk and freeze them and wait till the drugs are out of my system because the drugs could also destroy the few embryos. The other side of the coin is we get 5-7 good eggs and in that case we have more eggs to work with and a better chance of more surviving the freeze, thaw. So this decision will probably be a last minute one based on the number of eggs harvested.

I am feeling a little dizzy and nauseous today. Not sure where that is coming from, but it's a little annoying, so once again I am at home resting. I started taking the prednisone pills yesterday so maybe that's it? Who knows!

On a side note Justin had to get his FDA blood work panel done today, so he got a little torturing of his own with the needles. He he! I had to get blood drawn too, but only 1 vial, but of course I still needed my hand held.

I am just so grateful for the good news because it makes all the needles, dizziness and nausea worth it! I'm sure you pregnant people can relate!

Jenny

1 comment: