Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ok yes we have officially begun again!

I was thinking this morning about all my favorite movies and how they all have happy endings. So I have this high expectation that that is the way real life is too. And I am hoping this time around we get our happy ending cause I don't want to be disappointed or disappoint any of you (my friends and family) any more either.

So I went to the doctor this morning for the initial monitoring appt, which as I have mentioned before is the usual ultrasound and blood work. Justin had a board meeting so I was on my own for this one. The doctor was running late and so I ended up sitting in my paper skirt for 30 minutes. Luckily I had my phone and lots of apps to keep me busy. Thanks Pinterest! Anyway, the doctor came in and immediately did the ultrasound. I have 2 follicles on the right and 4 on the left. So a total of 6. I am totally happy with that!! The doctor seemed happy with that too. It's funny because every time I go in to get an ultrasound I always have this crazy thought that the doctor is going to look on the screen and go, "holy shit you have 12 follicles" or some crazy high number like that. But I am starting to realize that probably isn't going to happen so if 6 is my highest number starting out, then I just have to get crazy excited about 6.
I asked the doctor about the change up in medicine to Lupron and he said pretty much what I thought he would say. If something didn't work great with one medicine (ie. we only got 2 mature follicles, 1 embryo last time) then lets try something different. One new thing I found out about my protocol that I am NOT happy about is I have to go back on the steroid Prednisone starting on saturday. That is the one I took for 6 months while doing IUI, and then stopped taking it abruptly last June and my hair started falling out. It is the same small dosage I was taking before too. But what can I do? I can't refuse to take it, so I guess I'll just continue to use my shampoo, rinse and leave in oil hair loss treatment and hope that it counteracts the effects of the steroid. Ok, so got that all covered.

Now on to the sucky part. I found out Justin and I both have to do our FDA blood testing again. Apparently it's required every time you go through a new IVF cycle. Well I decided to get mine out of the way today because it's lots of vials, ugh! It was actually kind of funny though because everyone there goes and gets prepared for me to get a lot of blood drawn. One person gets the snack and juice, one holds my hand, one talks to me and the nurse draws my blood. It's a bit hilarious! But I am grateful for the support. Anyway I survived 6 vials and it's over for now!

So for the next 3 days we will continue on the meds and start the steroid pill and Menopur Saturday. I will be doing the Lupron and Follistim in the morning and Menopur and Follistim in the evening. So that's a minimum 4 shots a day because half the time the cartridges run out so you have to do 2 shots of the Follistim. Not fun!

I will be hibernating for the next week or so, because I am not sure how my hormones and emotions will react to these new drugs and I don't want to frighten anyone besides my husband.

Monday will be our next ultrasound and blood work appt to see how big and how many follicles we have. I am hoping all 6 are there and have grown big. Also Justin will get to get torchered a bit and have his FDA blood work done. Ha ha!

Ok, I am ready to be a pin cushion again. Here we go!

Jenny

1 comment: