Saturday, March 31, 2012

Bats hanging upside down

Everyday, every week, every minute in this journey is a constant changing process. I said last week that the nausea pills were helping quite a bit and doing their job, well I guess I spoke too soon.  The nauseous stomach has returned, but only in the evenings and nighttime.  The pills still help somewhat but they don't seem to curb it completely.  I feel great in the morning and most of the day, but around 6 pm is when it seems to hit me and I just want to lay in bed. So, that is what I have been doing.  And I have to say so far that has been the worst of my "pregnancy side effects" besides just being exhausted.  I am hoping, like many people have told me, that this nauseous feeling will subside around week 12.  You better be right people or I'm coming after you!!!

Justin and I spent most of the week saying goodbye to his grandpa.  We had his wake on Wednesday and the funeral on Thursday.  It was a sad time, but a great celebration and remembrance of his life.  I am glad I knew him and will always remember him for the way he could make me laugh so hard my stomach would hurt from his blunt, no holding back thoughts and opinions.

And then finally it was Friday and again we were headed to our last ultrasound appointment at the fertility clinic.  I was very sad and trying to hold back tears at leaving this extended family we have grown to love.  Justin and I decided we wanted to get the doctor and Shawnee a gift for all they had done for us and I also got small gifts for the entire staff in the office.  When we arrived the doctor was running behind, so we waited quite awhile before it was our turn for the ultrasound room.  

When the doctor and Shawnee came in I told the doctor about how I had called to schedule an appointment with my current OBGYN and hadn't felt very confident with the responses and just the overall energy I was receiving from the staff.  I said they couldn't get me in until April 11th and he said well that means we get to see you again then one more time next week!!! Hurray!!! It seemed all 4 of us were not ready to say goodbye yet and wouldn't have to for one more week! I was very happy about that. 

The doctor then gave me a name of a high-risk doctor who specializes in multiple pregnancies and birth.  He said he would actually prefer me to see this doctor, but again, it would be nice if I at least went to one appointment with my old OBGYN on the 11th for the sake of good business referral practices.  I agreed and said I would like to compare the 2 doctors, so I would go to an appointment with both, but I said I am leaning on going with the new specialized doctor. I mean why not go with the best right? Why not go with the doctor who has the most experience with my situation?

Then we started the ultrasound and the doctor started with the ultrasound that goes on the outside, on the abdomen.  (For those who might be confused...up to this point I have only had vaginal internal ultrasounds).  He put the thing on my belly and said, you want to see them move and play with them right? I said of course, so he discontinued the abdomen one and started the process over with the internal ultrasound.  It is much clearer and you can see the movements of the babies more.  Right away you could see Baby A moving it's arms and legs without any poking or prodding from me.  It was very active and looking more human like.  Then we turned to Baby B, who as I have mentioned in the past is very chill and stubborn.  Well the good news is because it has grown and moved around and it is much easier to see and measure, but it is still very chill.  Both babies are measuring exactly the same this week, 9 weeks 5 days by measurements (about 1 inch in length) and both heartbeats were in the 170-180bpm range.  I tried to poke Baby B to get some movement and the doctor laughed and said stop it, it's sleeping!  

He then zoomed out to try and get a good picture of both babies in the same frame and he was able to get a good picture and noticed that both babies were in the exact same position, hanging upside down sleeping like 2 bats hanging from the top of a cave.  It was so funny and weird looking.  So now I have gummy bear looking things growing inside me who hang upside down and sleep like bats. Weird!

When the ultrasound was over we gave the gifts to the doctor and Shawnee and they loved them!  I got the doctor this hand-made glass hanging globe that looks like their is a colorful glass tree growing inside.  It is called the Tree of Life.  I thought it was only appropriate since he helped create our little lives. He loved it and teared up and gave us both hugs.  Then Shawnee opened her gift and because she is a HUGE sports person we got her a signed Stan Musial baseball in a case.  She was so excited she started tearing up and gave us hugs as well.  It was a great feeling knowing we could make them feel just a little of the happiness that we were feeling from the gifts they have given us.  I also got these little inspirational love stones to give to all the girls in the office staff and told them how much we love all of them.  Thinking this was going to be our last appointment I thought I would be a crying mess, but because we we given one more appointment I was able to keep composed.  

We left the appointment and I immediately called the new referral doctor and scheduled an appointment.  We will see him on Thursday April 19th and decide on which doctor we will choose after that appointment.  

My mom is coming in town Monday for a week long visit while Justin is on a golf trip next week.  I am excited to have her here, and very excited that she will get to go to my final ultrasound appointment with me next Thursday.  (She also gets to do my injections all week next week, which I am sure she is very excited about! Ummm, not.). I am sure there will be stories to tell next week! As of right now I have 15 injections left, YAY!!!


Oh, and I have to mention one other thing!  Now that we are pregnant with twins, we have noticed that pregnant women aren't stalking me anymore, it is TWINS!!  (And by stalking I mean everywhere I went for the last 3 years there was a pregnant woman there!)  EVERYWHERE we look now it's twins!  On Tuesday at the hockey game in our box.  On Wednesday, Justin's family member was telling me how she had twins.  And then today (Saturday) a couple with twin boys sat right next to us at lunch, then 2 twin teenage girls walked in the door at the restaurant 5 minutes later.  And tonight I drove Justin to the game and his customer who drove down to the game with us had twins!  Ok, crazy right?!
I will post my 10 week belly picture Sunday, but for now the ultrasound of my hanging bats from yesterday is below. Enjoy!



Jenny & Justin +2 (+3 furry)
Injections:  170

No comments:

Post a Comment